“Patriotism is a noun that means love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it. If you’re full of patriotism, you’re full of love for your country. Patriotism is associated with serving your country and waving the flag.” Vocabulary.com
“A veteran is defined by federal law, moral code and military service as “Any, Any, Any”… A military veteran is Any person who served for Any length of time in Any military service branch.” Americanwarlibrary.com
This week we celebrate Veterans Day and as always I like to reflect over my military career. I joined initially to find a direction and stayed and eventually retired because I found a sense of belonging and possibilities. Now this is not to say it was easy, by no means, of all the military branches to join I chose the Marines. In fact the United States Marine Corps’ birthday is November 10th, celebrating 240 years. But this week, my patriotism is rekindled.
I reflect on all the things that makes my Country great to me. So, bear with me I won’t be long. Patriotism and being a veteran means:
- I love my God, on which our Country was founded;
- I love my Country, a bright light to the world’
- I am willing to die for my Country, defend it against all enemies foreign and domestic;
- America is my home and will do my best to represent it well;
- The power of the people is strong, though it could be stronger! I will vote and make my voice heard in the governing of my home;
- Freedoms and rights are guaranteed to me through the blood shed by others. Blood shed by veterans who’ve gone before to show the means to freedom, strength of character, and the American way;
- I can be an Entrepreneur through hard work and integrity;
- Even in the worsts parts of our history, I will continue to forgive, love, grow and seek unity with my fellow Americans
Therefore, as an American…a veteran I will stand for my country! My Country is changing, some for good and not so good but it is my home!
I’m proud to be an American veteran with my head held high! We may not agree on many issues but my patriotism solid!
Here’s to all Veterans where ever you may be – THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!